Psalm 139

King James Version

1:O LORD, thou hast searched me, and known me.

2: Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.

3: Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways.

4: For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether.

5: Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me.

6: Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.

7:Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?

8: If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.

9: If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;

10: Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.

11: If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.

12: Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.

13: For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother’s womb.

14: I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.

15: My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.

16: Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.

17: How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them!

18: If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.

19: Surely thou wilt slay the wicked, O God: depart from me therefore, ye bloody men.

20: For they speak against thee wickedly, and thine enemies take thy name in vain.

21: Do not I hate them, O LORD, that hate thee? and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee?

22: I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies.

23: Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:

24: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

English Standard Version

1: O Lord, you have searched me and known me!

2: You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar.

3: You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways.

4: Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether.

5: You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me.

6: Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high; I cannot attain it.

7: Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence?

8: If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there!

9: If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,

10: even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me.

11: If I say, “Surely the darkness shall cover me, and the light about me be night,”

12: even the darkness is not dark to you; the night is bright as the day, for darkness is as light with you.

13: For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb.

14: I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.

15: My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth.

16: Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.

17: How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them!

18: If I would count them, they are more than the sand. I awake, and I am still with you.

19: Oh that you would slay the wicked, O God! O men of blood, depart from me!

20: They speak against you with malicious intent; your enemies take your name in vain.

21: Do I not hate those who hate you, O Lord? And do I not loathe those who rise up against you?

22: I hate them with complete hatred; I count them my enemies.

23: Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts!

24: And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting!

New International Version

1: You have searched me, Lord, and you know me.

2: You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.

3: You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.

4: Before a word is on my tongue you, Lord, know it completely.

5: You hem me in behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me.

6: Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain.

7: Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence?

8: If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.

9: If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea,

10: even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.

11: If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,”

12: even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you.

13: For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.

14: I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

15: My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.

16: Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.

17: How precious to me are your thoughts, God! How vast is the sum of them!

18: Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand— when I awake, I am still with you.

19: If only you, God, would slay the wicked! Away from me, you who are bloodthirsty!

20: They speak of you with evil intent; your adversaries misuse your name.

21: Do I not hate those who hate you, Lord, and abhor those who are in rebellion against you?

22: I have nothing but hatred for them; I count them my enemies.

23: Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.

24: See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

Leave a Comment